The Inner War

10:54 AM

The thoughts assaulted my mind, like tiny arrows in my skin. Was it only yesterday that I cried out to the Lord for forgiveness? That I remembered His righteousness? That I spoke of His mercy? The storm of temptation rose again--a hurricane of fleshly desires rushing, rushing, rushing to beat on this temple of God. But I couldn't give in! There was too much to lose. Too much--His precious presence, His nearness. It was worth too much.

Waves of self-justification flooded my mind. It's not that bad. It's not really sin. Nobody knows. You'll feel better-just give in for a moment. No!! I just cannot sin against my God. Forcefully, I turn my thoughts to the prayers I prayed earlier. I had been crying out for grace to overcome. I had felt His presence and knew He was faithful to perform His promise.

Grace! My heart was desperate for that power to stand firm, to continue, to stay the path of holiness. And as quickly as my heart could speak, I realized-the grace of God was already upon me. The escape became obvious. Peace flooded this heart and I did not sin. Thanks be to the Lord!

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."
I Cor. 10:13
_________________________________________________

Temptation. Something that all face and few overcome. Temptation is the prelude to sin, but let me be clear, temptation is not sin. A pastor once told me that a bird could land on your head, and that is not your fault. But if that bird builds a nest on your head, it is your fault! Temptation is similar. Tempting thoughts are not wrong and not sinful. But we must flee from them and banish them from our minds! Otherwise, we will be led into sin. We must fight to win this inner war!

"Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Mark 14:38

You Might Also Like

2 comments