Calvary Love

9:40 AM

Amy Carmichael (missionary to India) wrote a little book called, "If." It's a whole book of prose with the same format. If I do something/act somehow/feel something, then I know nothing of Calvary love. The basic idea is that once I really understand the amazing sacrificial love of Christ, then I will also understand that selfishness is sin and selflessness is Calvary love.

I re-wrote some of the sayings from the book into more modern/understandable English for the youth. Here they are. Read & say "ouch". That's what I do. :)


If I can easily talk about the failures of others, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I can laugh at a joke at the expense of someone else, or somehow make them feel less valuable, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If I can write, speak or think something mean, without feeling ashamed of myself, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I remember someone's confessed, repented and forsaken sin, and hold it against them in my mind, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am afraid to speak the truth, because someone might not like me anymore, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am afraid to hold someone to the standard of the Word, because it's so much easier to avoid it, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I hold on to my own choices, just because they're mine, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am so obsessed with myself, that I hardly ever think a thought about anything else, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I cannot honestly be happy to be 2nd place or 20th place, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I figure out some spiritual thing that no one else can, and I forget that it is the Lord that reveals the deep mysteries to His unworthy servant, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I get offended easily, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If a sudden jolt causes me to speak an impatient, unkind word, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I say, "I forgive, but I cannot forget," as though God couldn't wash the memories from my mind, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I make a big deal about the little problems of life, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If people suffer right beside me, and I don't even know it, then I know nothing of Calvary love.


If there is a secret "but" in my prayer, "Anything but that, Lord," then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If things, places or people hold me back from obedience to my Lord, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I love to be loved, rather than to love, and to be served, rather than to serve, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

If I am careless about other people's hurts, and miss opportunities to help them, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

You Might Also Like

0 comments