Hymnology

12:30 PM

My friends, especially on the worship team, know that I am hymn-illiterate. I used to joke that I knew only two hymns: Amazing Grace and some other one that I (oddly enough) can't remember. :) And it's not too far from the truth... I was raised in Pentecostal/charismatic/non-denominational a.k.a. praise-chorus-singing churches. And there was nothing wrong with that! I like simple songs that I can sing by memory! However, hymns intrigue me. I can read them and think all day. I read and wonder how they can fit the whole entire Gospel message in four verses and a chorus?

Anyway, this is one of my favorite hymns. It's been on my mind this week because the youth sermon was about redemption. And my meditation has been "What a wonderful redemption; never can a mortal know!..." I hope this hymn encourages your heart today!

Who can cheer the heart like Jesus,
By His presence all divine?
True and tender, pure and precious,
O how blest to call Him mine!

Chorus:
All that thrills my soul is Jesus;
He is more than life to me;
And the fairest of ten thousand
In my blessed Lord I see.

Love of Christ so freely given,
Grace of God beyond degree,
Mercy higher than the heaven,
Deeper than the deepest sea!

What a wonderful redemption!
Never can a mortal know
How my sin, tho' red like crimson,
Can be whiter than the snow.

Ev'ry need His hand supplying,
Ev'ry good in Him I see;
On His strength divine relying,
He is all in all to me.

By the crystal flowing river
With the ransomed I will sing,
And forever and forever
Praise and glorify the King.

You Might Also Like

0 comments