Intercession

9:08 PM

I promised more words/explanation/blogging several days ago and haven't got to it until now. Living takes alot of time. Sometimes I lack the time to write about it. But for posterity's sake, here's a blog entry.

I alluded to pain previously. Specifics are unnecessary. I just want to talk a little bit about what God has been teaching me in the last week. Things have happened that are not the will of God. I have been very angry-at the evil one. And very frustrated that my (our) prayers have not accomplished results. I began to study intercession. Seeking out the Word of God to understand. Because I know, that God is not a liar. His promises are always true. And if life does not line up with the promises, it is not God's fault. I want to KNOW how to pray and see God answer. I want to pray in faith, believing, and receive! I want God to be glorified in and through my prayers.

There is a book that I recommend. Rees Howells: Intercessor, by Norman Grubb. Read the book. It's incredible. But that's a side note. Here are a couple characteristics that Rees Howells revealed about intercession.

Identification.
"(The intercessor) pleads effectively because he gives his life for those he pleads for; he is their genuine representative; he has submerged his self-interest in their needs and sufferings, and as far as possible, has literally taken their place."
Jesus was the greatest example of this. He was "numbered" with sinners. He poured out His soul unto death. He bore the sin of many. Of course, we do not bear the sin and become the substitue for men. Only Christ can do that. But we must pray & plead for their souls or healing or whatever we are interceding for.

Agony
"When the Holy Ghost really lives His life in a chosen vessel, there is no limit to the extremes to which He will take him in His passion to warn and save the lost."
The Holy Spirit is the Intercessor upon the earth and sometimes His intercession is expressed in "groanings that cannot be uttered." It is an agony of soul inexpressible in human language. It is a willingness to do ANYTHING for the one you intercede for. Like Moses, who was even willing to give up his soul for the wayward Israelites. Or Paul, also said "let me be accursed from Christ for my brethren." This crucifixion of soul in intercession is absolutely necessary to see God's will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Authority
This is the end. The joy following the tears. The harvest following the sowing. This is the results.
"Intercession so identifies the intercessor with the sufferer that it gives him a prevailing place with God. He moves God."
Hard to comprehend, isn't it? Like Moses, who after laying down even his soul for the rebellious Israelites, saw God literally "change His mind!" It's true! Right in the Word.

This is why God is seeking, looking, longing, searching for intercessors... people who are willing to crucify the flesh, be in soul-agony and persevere in prayer until the answer comes. Please note, people, that I do not write this because I know this. I've only experienced the slightest taste of intercession and I so desired to be one who glorify God in my prayers. There's a couple things that I think are important (based on the Word) to successfully intercede, i.e. get results.

1. You must be fully convinced of the will of God. Yes, it is God's will to save all (1 Tim. 2:4). Yes, it is God's will to heal all (Psalm 103:3). And if it is something more specific to your life or the life of others, just pray and ask the Lord. He'll reveal His will.

2. You must be fully convinced of the ability/power of God. Especially in your own situation! Some situations look so bad that you think God can't do it. Heb. 11:1 says that faith is the assurance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen. Which means, real faith doesn't start when things look good. If the circumstances are good, that's not faith-that's reality.

3. You must persevere. Luke 18:1 says that we should pray and not lose heart. We gotta have the kind of faith that goes the whole way. The parable of unrighteous judge in Luke 18 illustrates this perfectly. The woman just kept coming back and coming back and coming back and coming back. Yup, that's us.

These are things I'm learning. My heart is renewed and encouraged in faith. I want to look at situations through the eyes of faith, seeing that God is WILLING and ABLE to do all that I've asked of Him. Because He is a loving Father and He is God who was seeking me out to intercede.

Nothing happens, but by prayer.

You Might Also Like

1 comments