Confessions of the Semi-Healthy Me

1:35 PM

Food is so nice, right? It is delicious (most of the time) and comforting (some of the time) and super-necessary for growing babies – or at least, that’s what all the websites tell me. I’m spending my time being mindful of what I’m eating and how much I’m eating of it… because I don’t wanna miss out on any necessary nutrients for baby and I also don’t wanna turn pregnancy into an excuse for gluttony (yeah. I said it.).

So let me tell you about three healthy foods that I’m into these days.

Kale. This crunchy leafy green is all the rage these days, and I don’t mind at all. Because I can buy this HUGE bag and munch on it for a couple weeks, and I feel healthier… and life is all about feelings, right? (#justkiddingincaseyoumissedthat). I like making kale chips because they taste so good. I just tried the Pioneer Woman’s recipe for Pan-Fried Kale as a dinner side dish and it is worthy of eating often. And last but not least, this morning I chopped up kale reeeeally small with some green onions and added it to my scrambled eggs.

Quinoa. This is my new favorite grain. Though when I told Brandon that, he said, “so you’re gonna eat it for two weeks and then be sick of it?” :D He knows me and my incessant need for variety. Quinoa (pronouced KEEN-wah) is a grain that is high in protein, and that’s one of the reasons that I like it so much. Protein is also good for growing babies. Also, this grain is super-versatile. I used in it grain salads, ate it with pinto beans and cheese and even served pan-seared chicken and gravy over quinoa. YUMYUM.

Coconut Oil. Healthy saturated fats. Healthy fats are my friend. I threw a little bit of coconut oil in my faux-frappucino the other day. Delicious. But my real winning discovery was my coconut oil modification of this recipe. I halved the recipe (mostly because our coffee cups here are TINY), and checked the new calorie count – it comes out to about 275 calories. For an afternoon pick-me-up indulgence, I’m happy as a clam with this recipe. :D Fudgy, decadent, a little coconutty but mostly just chocolatey… and not crazy-insane-wreck-your-healthy-eating. At least, in my world. :D



Mini Microwave Brownie-in-a-Mug (with Coconut Oil)

1 T. coconut oil
1 T. water
1 T. cocoa
2 T. sugar
2 T. flour
dash salt
dash vanilla

Heat coconut oil in mug in microwave for 20 seconds or until liquefied. Add other ingredients to mug. Stir thoroughly. Microwave for 30-45 seconds or until cooked, but still fudgy. Don’t overcook --- fudgy is better! Enjoy! :D

You Might Also Like

0 comments