MoS: Idolatry

10:13 PM

Musings on Singleness: Idolatry

This is always a big thing in the Church. Singles are weeping over their God-given desire for marriage and companionship. And quickly someone will point the finger and say, “Marriage is your idol!” At times, this may be a true statement. It was true for me.

One day, several years ago, the Lord dealt with me personally on this subject. He told me that I was not desiring His coming, because I wanted to get married first. That hurt. Because my misguided hope was sinful at the core. I had elevated a natural desire above what should have been my highest spiritual desire. The Lord’s strong rebuke rang loud and clear in my heart. And I repented for exalting marriage above my love for Christ.

Now I ask myself these questions: Can I honestly say, “Come quickly, Lord Jesus?” Is it my truest and strongest longing—to be with the Lord?

Other revealing questions to ask ourselves:

Do I cry about my lack of marriage, but remain stoic about spiritual things?
Do I constantly feel hopeless about marriage in my life?
Do I consider changing jobs/churches/ministry groups, not because the Lord is leading, but because it would seem easier to get a spouse?
Have I begun to listen to worldly voices regarding how/why/where to find relationships?
Am I obsessed with the thought of marriage?Do I continually create scenarios in my mind of “when I’m married…?”
Have I lowered my standards for a spouse wrongfully?
Have I considered dating unbelievers?
Do I have a wrong ideal of marriage as utopian or paradise? Do I act like marriage will solve all my problems?
Do I love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul and all my might? Do I love Him more than the thought/desire for marriage?

Idolatry is a deceptive sin. Today, let's allow the Lord to shine the light on our hearts. While He created marriage for the good of man and for His own glory, we can twist it for evil. Especially by exalting it above its rightful place. Love and seek God first.

"Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry."
1 Corinthians 10:14

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your might."
Dueteronomy 6:5

You Might Also Like

0 comments