Musings on Singleness

6:44 AM

The overwhelming topic of conversations lately seems to be marriage and love and singleness, etc. If it were springtime, I would blame it on that. "In the spring, a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love." (Tennyson quote) But actually, it is winter. It is not Seasonal Conversational Disorder. :)

I am hearing what is on the hearts of single people—Christian young men and women that sincerely want to please the Lord with their lives, and yet are struggling to silence their emotions long enough to hear from God! And I'm starting to realize how important this is. I’ve seen enough trouble and turmoil and even shipwreck in the faith because of this issue. Why is this so important? Because the single season is where most people mess up their lives. They can’t handle the pressure, or the desires, or the decisions, or the sexual temptations, or whatever, and they just give up/give in and walk away from the Lord. They stumble, fall and don’t get up again. It breaks my heart.

So now I get it. This. is. life-alteringly. important.

Through the exhortation of 1 Corinthians 7:35, it is clear that God has a specific mode of action for us single people. Undistracted devotion to the Lord. There is a right heart attitude and a right life action that is associated with the time & place that the Lord has put us. And as with every other spiritual truth, the enemy has deceptions and challenges placed before us to keep us from running and finishing this race well.

Through the next few days, I want to look at some specific topics that we deal with in the season of singleness. And how to be victorious. I don’t claim to have all the answers or be perfect or be super-strong or any such nonsense. Remember, I'm still single too! I got street cred in this area, for sure! But hopefully, from my honest heart to yours, we can apply Biblical perspective to these things and, hopefully, someone will benefit from these Musings on Singleness.

You Might Also Like

2 comments