Shoulda Coulda Woulda's

7:00 AM

If I hadn't been placed by God where I am right now, gone to Bible college, ended up working in accounting and training in photography... here are some things that I might've become:

Trial Lawyer. Probably a prosecutor. Arguing for a living? Heck yeah! Too much schooling necessary, though. Maybe if I had an extra 10 years of life.

FBI Agent. I'm not even joking. Carry gun and solve cases and get bad guys? Sounds like my kinda deal... Yeah, so I read too many mysteries as a child.

High School Teacher. Cuz I just like teenagers. What an opportunity to influence the next generation.

Christian Music Star. I'm so glad God changed my mind on this. Waay too much opportunity for pride/sin in the industry. And the worship vs. entertainment debate was clearly resolved in favor of worship, for Biblical reasons.

Fiction Writer. But I couldn't reconcile spending so much time on something that didn't matter in eternity.

Nanny. Mmmm. That would require moving and living in a sinner's house. Ugh.

I thought about what I was going to become from the time I was ten years old. It was on my mind and in my heart. All I wanted to do was please God. Sometimes I didn't know how that would work out. I considered moving to California, Ohio or Florida for Bible college. God did not lead that way. In the end, God opened a door to be trained here at my home church. Three years after Bible school graduation, I'm still here. Working full-time. Unmarried. Doing a correspondence course again in my "free" time. Constantly seeking the Lord's will.

"The mind of man plans his ways, but the Lord directs His steps."
Proverbs 16:9

In the past, I thought that I could see the finish line. But really, I could only see until the first bend in the road. I've only ever been able to see a little way. And ya know what? That's cool with me. Because the will of God is perfect. I can put my life in His hands. Because He is trustworthy and faithful.

For now, I'll still be faithful to plan the next step, leaning on His peace to guide me. He'll still be faithful to direct these faltering, tentative steps of mine.

You Might Also Like

0 comments